Monday, October 16, 2023

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

The gist of it is, thoughts, not a review.

This is probably my favorite of the Friday the 13th movies. The reason is fairly simple. When I finally saw it (on vhs, a few years after release) I was about the same age as Tommy Jarvis is in the movie. And I got a kick out of the hero being a kid like me.

This takes place less than a week after Part 2. Jason's had a busy week.

In future movies they'll make a big deal out of bringing Jason back to life, but in this one he just wakes up and starts offing people. Maybe the paramedics didn't bother to check his vitals before bringing him in?

This is probably the best looking of the movies as far as production values go. Not necessary really. Of the previous movies Part 3 had the highest production values and was the worst, but parts 1& 2 looked like they'd been made with change found in someone's couch cushions but were great. But still nice.

I wonder why Tommy is so certain Rob can't be hunting bears. He's not, he looking for revenge for his sister that was killed in Part 2. But what makes Tommy so certain. According to Paul (also in part 2) Crystal Lake is bear country. So why not? Is it not bear hunting season? Is that a thing? I'm aware of deer hunting season, but I don't know about bear season. 

I like Rob. On a mission of vengeance but still has time to be nice to a weird kid. The fact that the weird kid's big sister is a babe probably helps, but still he seems like a good guy. Too bad Jason doesn't care about that.

When I see a scene like Jim's dancing I wonder what the direction was. Did they just say, "Dance like a spaz." and let him work it out from there, or did they get more specific. "I want people to wonder whether he's dancing or having an epileptic fit."

Speaking of Jim I'm glad he got a chance to put the "dead fuck" thing to rest with one of the twins before Jason showed up. And tbf to Ted he at least was happy for his friend despite his own failure with the other twin. That's friendship dammit.

This movie has something that movies are constantly try to say is great, but that I'm certain would be horrible. Shower sex. Granted I've never tried shower sex, so maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. 

After more than 30 years of shaving I can't hep but watch Tommy shave his head and think he would be bleeding all over the place.

I have a certain amount of sympathy with Trish's frustration that Tommy hadn't run when she decoyed Jason away, but at the same time I think, run where? They're deep in the woods, there doesn't seem to be anyone else living anywhere nearby and the trip to town is usually made by car, making me thinks it could be 10 miles or more away. The woods are Jason's home, he'd catch Tommy long before he could get anywhere.

That's enough from me. Here's someone else's take on it:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Essay of the Day: Broca's Brain-Carl Sagan

 This is the first essay in the book, also called Broca's Brain. It's about Sagan's trip to a museum in France. One of the, I...